Rossiter & Associates provides consulting services to industry and training for engineers.
Energy efficiency and pollution prevention are important areas for all chemical, petrochemical and refining companies, because of both environmental considerations and economic impact. However, most companies today are unable to resource engineering activities in these areas with in-house personnel, partly due to corporate downsizing and budget restrictions, and partly because of the specialized nature of much of the work. If you are having difficulty in these areas, Rossiter & Associates can help.
Rossiter & Associates provides specialized consulting to the process industries in:
- energy efficiency (including pinch techniques)
- waste minimization (pinch and hierarchical techniques)
Most of our work is either:
- part of the design activity for new facilities, or
- process improvement activity for existing plants
Typically our work leads to energy cost reductions of around 15%. Depending on circumstances, we often also define opportunities for debottlenecking or capital cost reduction as well (see discussion of benefits below).
Our training activities cover two main areas:
- We provide energy management and pinch analysis courses directly related to our technical services. These are provided in-house for clients as requested, and also through public courses.
- We provide seminars, workshops and training courses in professional excellence and engineering ethics. Public presentations, in-house programs and home study courses are available.
Recent Rossiter & Associates Projects (Partial Listing)
- ExxonMobil: Energy efficiency projects at 15 refining and petrochemical sites worldwide.
- Syncrude Canada: Energy efficiency (pinch and utility balance) and gaseous emissions minimization study for $2 bn oil sands upgrading expansion project.
- TrueNorth Energy: Pinch study of new $2 bn oil sands facility.
- Sasol (S. Africa): Utility balance optimization for expansion of Secunda oil-from-coal facility.
- Other experience also includes water/waste water minimization studies, hydrogen management and energy efficiency (pinch) studies for several sites including refineries, specialty chemicals plants and petrochemicals facilities.
We also have a more detailed listing of the types of projects undertaken.
Typical Benefits from Rossiter & Associates Energy Efficiency/Pinch Studies
Over the past two decades pinch techniques have become accepted as the most effective way to identify opportunities for structural changes in process plants to improve energy efficiency. The benefits include the following:
- Numerous studies have shown economic savings of 10% to 15%, and sometimes even more, in energy bills using this approach. These have been obtained in processes as diverse as oil refining, petrochemicals, mineral processing, inorganic chemicals and pharmaceuticals. Many projects have been implemented to capture these savings.
- The same techniques have also been used to debottleneck process units, especially where capacity is limited by energy systems (e.g., furnaces, boilers or cooling towers).
- Pinch techniques are also used to reduce capital and operating costs in new facilities.
- There is also a related environmental benefit, as improved energy efficiency translates directly into lower combustion-related emissions (SOx, NOx, CO2).